Friday 7 September 2012

Birthday Wines at the Atheneaum

M. Chapoutier Rivesaltes 1978

Domaine Weinbach - Riesling Clos des Capucins 2008 (Alsace, France)
Given my love of this winery, this particular bottling struck me as rather plain for them. Perfectly decent, perfectly reasonable, I’ve perhaps just come to expect too much from them (based on the incredible Cuvée Ste Catherine wines). Already quite evolved and kerosene on the nose. Perfect to quaff on a summers evening such as this. Lightly mineralic with high acidity. 15.5/20.

Fabien Jouves - Mas Del Perie 'You Fuck My Wine?!' (Vin de Table, Sud Ouest, France)
Oh, how I wish I had a picture of the label on this – that really is what it is called. Thankfully the staff member opening this did not have a European language as their first and I think (hope) the label was lost on them. The story is that the wine maker was asked to remove the Jurancon Noir in this ‘Cahors’ wine. The wine maker disagreed and released it with this label as a message to them. This was actually really excellent. Youthful, characterful, ripe and full bodied but with a nicely balancing relatively high acidity. Rich Cherries, and quite distinctive with it. Far better than many local ‘Cahors’ wines. 17/20.

Domaine Rossignol Trapet - Latricières Chambertin Grand Cru 2006 (Burgundy, France)
Latricières is a small parcel adjacent to Chambertin. This is a little light for a Grand Cru in my books but very pure and delineated. I hate to say it, but yes it is silky. Fine, classy, and classic. Difficult to fault technically, Has it got the guts to age? Its already coming across quite developed. I feel a little harsh saying this given it really is very good, but it just doesn’t so it for me and I think there are gutsier Grand Cru Burgundy that I would prefer over this. 16.5/20. Retails for around £70 with Majestic and perhaps that’s why I’d like a little more from it – but then that’s just the price of Grand Cru Burgundy sadly, no matter what’s in the bottle. In fact, cheaper than many!

M. Chapoutier - Rivesaltes 1978 (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
Vins Doux Naturel. There were some question marks as to how a ’78 of this wine would still be drinking. We really needn’t have worried! Profound, high-toned, smooth and memorable. Probably immortal. Still some sweetness on the palate, but the typical youthful richness had moulded into something broader and quite special here. To be savoured slowly with best friends. 17+/20.

No comments: